Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Pool of Shared Meaning




A lot of buzz has been generated in my office surrounding this book entitled Crucial Conversations. I wondered what exactly a Crucial Conversation was--it sounded important and adult. The book explained it to me in layman's terms: a Crucial Conversation is when opinions vary, stakes are high, and emotions are strong. Not as interesting as I hoped for, but I plowed ahead, hoping for a few nuggets of wisdom. Boredom was setting in until I began reading about "the Pool of Shared Meaning"--a place where people share relevant information in order to solve a problem. I like to swim--this was good stuff!

I decided to test some of my new found psychological skill and engage Korey in (wait for it)..... a Crucial Conversation. I was pleased: everything was going as planned and my Crucial Manipulation..er..Conversation was working! There was just one snag: Korey had not read the book and lacked the great knowledge and insight that I had now gained. The conversation ended with Korey taking a whiz in the Pool of Shared Meaning--not exactly the outcome the authors had assured me of. Suffice to say, I have resolved to leave the Crucial Conversations to the experts and be happy with plain old vanilla conversations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is that a picture of Korey taking a whiz in the lake?

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you thot I was anonymous---nope, this is your Mom---but I had the same question as "a"--ho ho

The way you write reminds me of the guy who wrote Searching for God Knows What....entertaining and easy to read. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I love sakorah.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards